Saturday, August 3, 2013

First week of drafting

Got in quite a bit of drafting this week. I started off super hot winning out-right in 4 of 6 drafts. I also opened some more money rares and was sitting at 30+ packs and 50-60 tickets when I had around 5 tickets and obviously no packs going into M14 release events. My rating also jumped from 1760ish to 1860ish. 

I was able to have a ton of success with multiple near mono blue decks splashing first pick cards in other colors. I chalk this up to people not yet understanding how good blue is in M14. The commons are very strong and cards like Opportunity and Air Servant are some of the best uncommons. Drafts certainly got harder as the week progressed...blue was drying up a lot sooner and I was forced to try some other archetypes with much less success. 

While the format seems to generally lend itself to long and grindy games, I have run into a decent number of white based aggro decks that can definitely punish a stumbling player. Master of diversion is key in these decks. I have also seen a few RWG sliver decks that can have a pretty nasty curve, but also can stumble themselves as their mana is generally not great.

I did a 108 player premier event sealed tourny and ended up 5-2, not making top 8. The deck was okay, my losses were to similar RG aggro decks that curved me out slightly faster than I could curve them out. My wins were fairly decisive. Here is the deck, feel free to discuss what I should have played instead. I often sided out the Brindle Boars for plummet and naturalize. Perhaps I should have just mained the spells? I felt I would be short creatures in that case though.



 

I plan to draft more next week and try to do a few more sealed decks as well. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment