Sunday, July 28, 2013

Further M14 Sealed practice

I just completed two prerelease sealed events on MTGO. Playing pre-release events is the worst value possible on MTGO, but it eases the pain when you open Mutavault, Angel of Thune, and Scavenging Ooze...just missing Hydra for all of the money rares. I also 3-1'd and 4-0'd the events which was nice. Played a very close finals in the 4-0 match-up, but got there. Both decks had solid black components of Sengir Vampire, Doom Blade, Liturgy of Blood, and Corrupt along with the solid common creatures. The 4-0 pool had the Angel, but she did not factor into many games beyond drawing out removal. The deck did have 3 of the 2/2 Vigilance sliver with two hive stirrings. I wasn't sure if I would like playing these creatures in sealed without better sliver synergy, but they were relevant more often than not. Sometimes grizzly bears aren't great in sealed, but they are certainly playable here. I had a couple of the Blood Bairn's which made the stirrings a lot better.

In retrospect, the pool from the previous post I believe was best with the black cards. I think in sealed the nearly unconditional removal that doom blade and two liturgies bring is way better than the red cards. Most of the games that weren't decided by mana issues turned into long drawn out games that were decided by bigger creatures. The black removal goes a very long way if saved for optimal targets.

I forgot to save the 4-0 pool, but here was the 3-1 pool, let me know how you would build it differently in the comments or @bchap55 on twitter. I definitely was torn between blue and green here, but I wanted to try out how double cancel felt, and it was great in some games mediocre in others here. Green may have been the better choice.


No comments:

Post a Comment